Ladakh is home to exquisite natural beauty, one of which is the salt lake of Tso Kar. It’s popularity matches that of the white like. Tso Kar is the most peaceful of the three lakes of Tso Kar, Tso Moriri and Pangong Tso. The calmness of the lake resonates with its environment. The lake of Tso Kar is surrounded by only a few yak sheds, some monasteries and homes of a few nomadic families. Tourists visit this place for overnight camping expeditions. They say that such an experience is a once in a lifetime thing. Apart from the crystal clear waters, Tso Kar is also home to a variety of birds that are inhabited in the marshlands around the lake.
The main species of fauna in the lake found are Brahmin ducks, bar-headed geese and great crested grebe. The most famous of them all is the black-necked crane. The population of black-necked cranes is best known for their fidelity. Hence, they migrate every year to Tso Kar just to lay eggs. The wings of the black-necked cranes have a wingspan of over 8 feet. It is a sensational sight to behold against the backdrop of the lush green landscape.
Temperature at Tso Kar Lake and the Ideal Time to Visit
The ideal weather for tourism at Tso Kar lake is mainly during June and July. The winters in the area are known to report temperatures drop to as low as -40 degrees. During summers, the temperate rises to nearly 30 degree Celcius, but is never constant throughout the day
Tso Kar Lake Accommodation
The food options found around Tso Kar lake are not any special delicacies. They are basic food options. Almost all of it is local preparation. The lack of proper eateries means that you can find food in set up tents here. Hence, most people prefer to get their own food before visiting Tso Kar.
Tso Kar Lake Itinerary
Include trips to both Moriri Tso and Tso Kar to your itinerary. Visit these places while on a trip to Leh. Begin your journey early morning from Leh to Moriri Tso. After, head on to Tso Kar lake to experience serenity and birdwatching. Head back to Leh on a cab from here.
Tips for Visiting Tso Kar Lake
- The nearest fuel stations from these places are on the ways to either Leh or Keylong. So, make sure you carry an extra can for yourself.
- The open grasslands can get really chilly at night. So make sure you are wearing thick woollen clothes and carrying extras while camping.
- Carry enough cash with you as you will not be able to find any ATMs in the area.
How to Reach Tso Kar
- Air: Jammu holds the nearest airport to Tso Kar.
- Road: Tso Kar is located at a distance of 160 km Leh, on the west of Leh-Manali road. From Srinagar, the lake is about 540 km east.